Bone Broth Recipe
13 Feb |
Posted by Greenacres |
no comments |
Benefits of Bone Broth:
- Helps maintain a healthy gut, especially for dogs with digestive issues
- Supports your dog’s immune system and detoxes his liver
- Helps protect his joints as it is packed with collagen
- Is full of minerals and vitamins
- Great for picky eaters or older dogs who aren’t as interested in their food as they once were.
What you’ll need:
- Bones: I prefer to use joint bones such as marrow bones and chicken feet but any bones will do
- Apple Cider vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Optional extra’s: Fresh herbs and Vegetables
- Slow Cooker
How to make it:
- Fill your slow cooker with the bones.
- Cover the bones with water.
- Add your lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. This pulls the nutrients out of the bones and makes the healthy gelatine.
- Cook on High for an hour and then reduce to a low heat for 24 hours.
- Strain the bones, leaving only the broth behind.
- Now you can add your extra ingredients or leave your broth as is. I like to add turmeric as it is a natural anti-inflammatory which is great for my older dogs.
- I am also going to add carrots, Celery and Parsley for some added nutrition.
- Once your broth has cooled, place it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Once it comes out of the fridge it should be a jelly-like consistency.
- You will also notice that there is a layer of fat that has risen to the top. Make sure you scrape it off and throw it away.
- Make sure to store your Bone broth in the fridge or Freezer.
- Serve over your dogs’ food.